Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Debate Full Policy Round Day I Hybrid teams
We will debate this week. Schedule will be decided during A lunch block. Debate will begin immediately following the bell for B lunch. Same goes for Tues/Wed/Thurs. After your round, you are to post a summary to Alex and Lisa recapping the round and asking the coaches for advice. These are full rounds with no stop/go. All policy debaters are expected to watch and flow. Speech times are normal but no speed reading allowed. This means every card counts folks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ok
ReplyDeleteok, i will post any questions i have after my round tomorrow
ReplyDeleteDebaters,
ReplyDeleteI have asked you once but I will reiterate. Please STOP posting "okay" or "will do" to every post. If Mrs. Britton is telling you to do that then ignore this message but if she isn't please stop. You don't know how much time i'm wasting checking the forums when everyone just posts "okay". This forum is suppose to be your friend and help you. It doesn't do anyone ANY good if you just post "okay" with no feedback. Sorry about being a stickler about this but I just try to check this website everyday and it is extremely tiring when all the debaters are just posting a confirmation word or two.
Thanks,
Kappy
Lisa
ReplyDeleteshe is telling us to post okay when it comes information blogs and things shes instructing us to do IN class unrealted to the blog... its her grading system, thought id reply to you so you dont feel "ignored" oh and i have a question, if in your 1nc you read a DA... THEN read a CP. is the DA assumed as the net benift if the other team doesnt make in arguement on it in the 2ac? and couldnt you just claim it as a net benifit in the 2nc if it becomes a big deal?? sorry to ask but the varisty members are having mixed opionions on the matter
ok, our round was bad... i wasnt ready, and i was kinda buy myself. but with a 1AC but together the day before and the fact that i got the inherency card? sov. cards that day, it was ok. the thing was T. i rly need to learn to argue? make Aff. standards during round. i do have some ? tho. i want to learn to argue Theory/T/Perm debate, i always get lost when we get to those in round, and leave nate to do that, and it would be better if we both could do it for next year. so thats it... thanks
ReplyDeleteOkay, sorry everyone about the "okay" message. I was just wondering why all of you were doing that.
ReplyDeleteDMartin- Unless you say in the 1nc "these are the net benefits" it is seen as a DA but also can be a NB. Let me explain. Net benifit is a disadvantage to the plan but an advantage to the CP. So as long as your DA (that you didn't clarify as a NB) doesn't conflict with your CP you can turn it into a NB whenever you want. That is how the CP competes is through DAs that harm the aff and benefit the neg.
So to answer your question: Yes. If the aff asks you in cross-x why you didn't specify it as a Net Benefit all you have to say is, " Yes it can be a net benefit if that is what you want to call it but it doesn't matter because it works either way. It harms you and the CP avoids it."
It shouldn't be a big deal. Always, always, always act like you know what you are talking about (even if you don't)this will intimidate the other team.
Don't be sorry to ask ANY questions. I want to help you guys as much as I can. There is no "stupid" question.
~Kappy
i debate first on tuesday. i really wasn't sure what was happing toward the end. on the other side one of the girls was sick so that didn't help either! i don't really think anyone won our rounds.. some of the debaters took it as a joke, since it was pratice. other wise i think it could of done alot better!
ReplyDeletemy round, was immediately blown off. I made an unstrategic choice and run a joke cp, and that made everyone (including people who weren't in the round) want to join in. I am truly sorry for blowing this round off. It wasn't intentional, and i was doing it because i like to have fun while being serious too. I think our round went ok, except for outside people trying to help the team we were facing, what i coulda done differently is made a better strategy, not joked around with my strategy, and just did wat i thought was right.
ReplyDeleteChris
alright, so i debated on wensday, and it felt AMAZING. i havent debated in over a month, and i was getting rly into it. but me and angelica ran the aff, and nate and casey ran 2 T's and a states give away houses with a vaccant houses net benifit. in the last speech, they went for a substantially T and the cunconditional counter plan. he undercovered the T and the counter plan didnt gain 2 of our advantages, so im pretty sure we won. but it was a really good round for angelica to watch, and also one of the only serious round we've had so far this quarter.
ReplyDeletethe states give away houses thing is a counter plan
ReplyDeleteOk, so I had my rounds, one day after the other, so I had to put together my strategies fast. Everyone else is doing their second round next week. My first round I went NEG against Ashley and Angelica. It was by far the most serious round so far in the fact that all the others were jokes. It's not that the rounds themselves were unintelligent but the teams were unprepared and not trying so it wasn't a learning experience. I believe that the round was close, and since no one was judging, that I won't assume I won or lost but that I do need to work on things like getting across my points quickly, organized, and without confusion. My second round was with me and Casey going Aff against Chris and Haley. As chris said before, his strategy was a joke and he didn't take the debate seriously. However, it was still an interesting round and the novice (Casey) did learn from it. So yah. I personally feel that if we were given more than a week, and that we didn't have to debate the same plan, than we could get a larger variety of DA's and CP's and aff's that can be fun and serious to run and make for very education debate. but that will come in time because for now, the novices need to learn how to just operate in a regular round and it's easier if they all use the same plan. That's all i got for now i guess.
ReplyDeleteOkay so im a couple days behind on the posting but here are my thoughts on the rounds we had....
ReplyDeleteSo our first round, and I know this sounds like a broken record, but it was the most serious round. Partly because people had more of a chance to be prepared and everybody took it much more seriously. And the second round was horrible. From the chuck Norris cp, to the me not knowing what to say on a lot of things. It went pretty bad. Also we basicly had to cram for the Aff strategy.
Also Nate is the best policy partner I could have asked for, so..............THANK YOU NATE!
Hey Lisa and Alex, so I've already had both of my rounds and I was wondering, do you have any interesting ideas for affirmatives next year, or if you don't want me to work on that yet, is there something specific you would like me to research? I already know you want us to research social services. Thanks for the help guys.
ReplyDelete