I don't want to have one main strength. I want to be balanced in both policymaker and critical debate. I also want to be able to debate competitively by strategically create a strategy utilizing both policymaker and critical. Clarity and speed for reading are both a given and articulation is a must.
I'll be responding individually to all. I will make suggestions and if you like or dislike that idea, please let me know ASAP
AMartin- You don't have to do 8 minutes of K. You can still run a K but not make it your main argument. If you want last year I did T, CP, 2 DAs, K, and case args. You can either do multiple policymaker postions (DA's, cp's, and case args) OR you can do multiple worlds (K with Das and such). It is quite fun to do multiple worlds but it is tricky if you don't know how to handle it and your opponent does. So if that is something you'd be interested in, let me know!
DMartin- 1)Speeding reading like anyting else is an art that one must master. There are those people who are naturally fast and there are those who are not. Alex was never very fast but he worked his butt off his junior and senior year and improved over 100%. I however was naturally fast compared to others but I didn't work it on it until my senior year...which was a problem because everyone else got faster than me. What you need to do is pick up random pieces of paper with writing on them and try to read them as fast as you can. Then slow down and practice annunciation. I'm not kidding it works. IE: I like money. "I L-I-K-E Mon-Y." Very slow. clarity is always better than speed. 2)thinking on your feet is just practice. You should tell your friends to ask you random questions about your postions and if you dont know the answer... Find it. Write it down and commit it to memory that way if someone asks you again you can whip the answer out.
Selliot- Just practice cross-x, have everyone you know think of one or two questions about your case and if you can answer the question research it. If you want to learn more about your case you need to be researching your case. Find out anything about it you find interesting because more often than not that question might come up in c-x. Even if it has nothing to do with the case. IE- Is your social service a government agency? You may or may not really be cutting evidence like that but if you have researched it you would be able to answer it.
If some of these overlap I'm not going to answer it again. I'll just tell that person to refer to a post.
Amerca,cevenom, Mwisem, Danisfuw, hlarso, cburba(for speed/clarity) - See DMartin and Selliot responses.
Cburba- fun depends on what you like and if you like debate. If you're not have fun in your debate then there is no reason to do it. I have found that you have more fun when you out-debate someone. Which means you need blocks, frontlines you need to be as prepared as you can and then you'll beat the other team. I"m not naiive I know that it is "only fun" when you win but you have to win legitamently. When you do the work it pays off. If you're interested in this let e know. Ill help you, but I'm not going to do it for you.
before you go Kritical you need to understand policy and i'll help with that. I'm not sure what else to say for this besides read the literature and that will help
get more stragies, i dont wana run 8 minutes of a K, i wana have a lot of things i know and can switch up.
ReplyDeletespeed read clearer and work on thinking on my feet faster
ReplyDeletebe able to answer better and learn more about this case.
ReplyDeletei want to be more Kritical, and have more fun. All while working to better my clarity and speed.
ReplyDeleteI don't want to have one main strength. I want to be balanced in both policymaker and critical debate. I also want to be able to debate competitively by strategically create a strategy utilizing both policymaker and critical. Clarity and speed for reading are both a given and articulation is a must.
ReplyDeletebetter my speed and be able to ask questions fast ...
ReplyDeleteunderstand stuff
ReplyDeletelearn more
ReplyDeleteread clearly and know the stuff
ReplyDeleteI'll be responding individually to all. I will make suggestions and if you like or dislike that idea, please let me know ASAP
ReplyDeleteAMartin- You don't have to do 8 minutes of K. You can still run a K but not make it your main argument. If you want last year I did T, CP, 2 DAs, K, and case args. You can either do multiple policymaker postions (DA's, cp's, and case args) OR you can do multiple worlds (K with Das and such). It is quite fun to do multiple worlds but it is tricky if you don't know how to handle it and your opponent does. So if that is something you'd be interested in, let me know!
i would like to start comprehending my stuff more and be able to answer quicker.
ReplyDeleteDMartin- 1)Speeding reading like anyting else is an art that one must master. There are those people who are naturally fast and there are those who are not. Alex was never very fast but he worked his butt off his junior and senior year and improved over 100%. I however was naturally fast compared to others but I didn't work it on it until my senior year...which was a problem because everyone else got faster than me. What you need to do is pick up random pieces of paper with writing on them and try to read them as fast as you can. Then slow down and practice annunciation. I'm not kidding it works. IE: I like money. "I L-I-K-E Mon-Y." Very slow. clarity is always better than speed.
ReplyDelete2)thinking on your feet is just practice. You should tell your friends to ask you random questions about your postions and if you dont know the answer... Find it. Write it down and commit it to memory that way if someone asks you again you can whip the answer out.
Selliot- Just practice cross-x, have everyone you know think of one or two questions about your case and if you can answer the question research it. If you want to learn more about your case you need to be researching your case. Find out anything about it you find interesting because more often than not that question might come up in c-x. Even if it has nothing to do with the case. IE- Is your social service a government agency? You may or may not really be cutting evidence like that but if you have researched it you would be able to answer it.
ReplyDeleteIf some of these overlap I'm not going to answer it again. I'll just tell that person to refer to a post.
ReplyDeleteAmerca,cevenom, Mwisem, Danisfuw, hlarso, cburba(for speed/clarity) - See DMartin and Selliot responses.
Cburba- fun depends on what you like and if you like debate. If you're not have fun in your debate then there is no reason to do it. I have found that you have more fun when you out-debate someone. Which means you need blocks, frontlines you need to be as prepared as you can and then you'll beat the other team. I"m not naiive I know that it is "only fun" when you win but you have to win legitamently. When you do the work it pays off. If you're interested in this let e know. Ill help you, but I'm not going to do it for you.
before you go Kritical you need to understand policy and i'll help with that. I'm not sure what else to say for this besides read the literature and that will help
i don know
ReplyDeleteif you guys need any help let me know, i don't know how useful i'd be but im here if ya need me!
ReplyDeletenstelle- see all three responses.
ReplyDeleteMag-Pie, who are you? Are you a debater, former debater, teacher's assistant or what?
like nate, i want to be balanced. but, manly want beat T, and i want to work on my perm debate.
ReplyDelete